Friday, August 24, 2012

Bat Rep #5 (7/23/12) Necrons vs. SM/GK

This next battle report is a very interesting one. I played my as is Necron army against Ed's Space Marines with Allied Grey Knights. The list which you can see most of in the PICS below is pretty straight forward. He ran 8 Rifleman Dreadnoughts...Master of Forge for the marines and one heavy and one elite venerable dread for the GKs. He had 3 Tacticals in Rhinos and a Strike squad in a Razorback. 

To make matters worse the mission was kill points and hammer and anvil deployment. I went first and attempted to deploy as close as possible but ed deployed at his board edge making it impossible for me to get in range withing even 2 full turns. 
So my game plan was to use my speed to converge on one side and use the middle terrain piece to give cover from the other half. I would also attempt to scarab farm as much as possible either keep him from advancing or force him out of position. My first turn was a mad rush while utilizing my solar pulse forcing darkness...
Luckily for Ed he had searchlights. I did not fully understand how search lights worked in the new edition. So as it appears any vehicle can shoot but does not necessarily need to hit a vehicle to automatically light the target up. It does however have to be in range of the gun. Ed then proceeded to shoot up my wraiths and immortals. 9 out of 10 immortals died and the remaining cryptek and immortal ran!
My following turns was spent trying to follow through with my game plan. Once I got to about midfield with my whole army I was able to abuse the side closer to me. I did end up killing a few dreadnoughts but I almost killed my overlord by over extending him. You will see him in the bottom left of the battlefield. I thought he could draw fire and do some damage the following turn.
After turn 3 I realized this would be  low scoring affair and decided to pull back any weakened units, especially my overlord on the barge. I also realized that the Annihilation Barges worked really well even when having to fire snapshots. Since Tesla works best when rolling 6s I ended up being way more mobile than I had imagined! The wraiths did not make it into combat and got shot up PDQ! 
As turn 4 progressed we both saw the end of the game coming. Ed had first blood but I was ahead on KPs. I had to make sure he did not get line breaker bc there was no way either of our Warlords were going to die. I sent my scarabs out to kill the units he was trying to get passed.
The Strike Squad took care of the Scarabs but only after they ate up the Tactical squads ride! The game ended on turn and we had a tie 5-5 points. Eds army was really tough. What saved me was the fact that str 7 shots cannot pen my Quantum Shielding of 13. Ed also failed to roll many glances and Jink saves on skimmers was key for my to pull out a draw. 

Result: DRAW
Necrons (1-1-1)
Overall (2-2-1)

No comments:

Post a Comment