Friday, July 27, 2012

Battle Report #2 (7/9/12) Necrons/Orks vs. Grey Knights






In this battle I tried one of the new aspects of 6th edition, which is the ability to take an Ally. First, I would like to say that Allies is now a necessary part about 40K . Allies balance the game. It bridges the gap between the older codices and the new. Also, with flyer rules being very new, and the fact that not every codex has them, allies are a must.

So I took some allies. ORKS! Which I borrowed from my brother.

 I changed my list around significantly. For the sake of synergy I favored Warriors over Immortals. I think that with the Ghost Arks ability to replace Warriors it makes the army tough to beat at range. In addition, the Ghost Arks have 4 Hull Points. The Barges all have 3 Hull points. You cannot reliably penetrate Necron vehicles and that works well with Necron quantum shielding. The Orks that I added gave me some more bodies as well as a decent long range threat in the Lootas.



The list looks like this:

Necrons/Orks 1750
Necrons
Overlord: Warscythe, Mindshackle Scarabs, Sempiternal Weave@130
     -Command Barge@80
5 Crypteks w Eldritch Lance, 1 w Solar Pulse@195

10 Immortals@170
8 Warriors@104
8 Warriors@104
8 Warriors@104
7 Warriors@91
Ghost Ark@115
Ghost Ark@115

Annihilation Barge@90
Annihilation Barge@90

Orks
Big Mek w Custom Force Field@85
13 Lootas@195
20 Shoota Boys w 2 Big Shootas and 1 Nob w PK@165

TOTAL 1748

What I faced was a Crowe/Purifier heavy list. My opponent had 3 Large Squads of Purifiers and 2 or 3 squads of GK Terminators as troop choices as well. 2 Autocannon Psi Ammo dreads rounded out the army. No other vehicles so Gauss wouldn't be as much of a factor unlike my first game.

The mission was Vanguard (Diagonal), and Purge the Alien (The new KP version).

My opponent chose not to combat squad and so there were only 8 KP available for me!

Since I don't have pictures for this game I will just simply describe a few things that I took away from it.

1) You cannot just throw allies together. The lootas were nice, but the boys and big mek got shot up so quickly because of their need to get close. I do not think this combination worked any better than an entire necron army would have.

2) Close combat is very unreliable. The random charge distances, especially going through terrain nerfs assault armies. Its the randomness that makes it so bad. If you don't have fleet, at any time a bad roll can lose you the game. There were many times in this battle where I went just about 12 inches to get rapid fire shots with a piece of terrain in front of me (pre-measuring is key).The odds would not be in my opponents favor to attempt a charge. Luckily for me this GK list was very slow and could not keep up with the Necrons mobility.

3) The missions are not very good. I think that the missions are very redundant and almost all play off the same mechanics. I never liked Kill Points for the obvious reasons. There should really have been a difference in this edition on how its scored. Either win by 3 KP or make it a ratio of how many total KPs in your list.

Bottom line- I had too many shots and too much mobility for this GK army. Despite that it was actually a close game! I won 6-5. I drew First Blood.

Result: WIN
Necrons (1-1-0)
Overall (1-1-0)

No comments:

Post a Comment